Thursday, July 30, 2009

On goblins and paupers

I work very hard to learn my craft and be the best that I can at it. I spend most of my time exploring shadow, flame, and dark spaces of the nether in order to find ways that I can extract more power from the forces I control. I recently started training myself to focus more on my fire spells and less on my powers of demonology. When I do this, I can no longer channel the forces needed to call forth a felguard, however my flame spells are more powerful, and I am able to focus my power into intense bursts that no shield may resist.

However, in order to spend my time training in the dark arts and adventuring in dungeons with my guild, I need to make money. I have noticed that this world seems to be broadly segregated into two groups; those with gold and those without it. Many people seem to spend endless days traveling the world, performing jobs for needy villagers, and then spend what they make having their gear fixed, buying potions, and on pets and mounts. They are always broke. There is nothing as sad as having to lend a powerful priest 14 gold so that he can have a blacksmith repair his armor before beginning an adventure. All that power, and they ask me for a drink.

As for me, while I am not rich, I have never had trouble making money. I prefer to make my money through my craft instead of helping villagers. Not that I don't like to help, but I can stay in the city, work quickly, and focus on my studies. I buy materials at auction, craft them into items that people need, and then sell them for a profit. Sometimes I find things people are selling for much less than other people, and so I buy those items and resell them for many times what I paid. As a result, when I get ready to enter a dungeon with my guild, I am repaired, have potions, feasts, and even flasks stuffed into my bags.

What is not clear to me is why some people don't seem to be able to get or keep gold. Every profession has a means to make money. Some more than others. A friend who is a paladin is an inscriber and I am afraid to think about how much money she has. Suffice to say that she usually has hundreds of glyphs for sale at any time. Me, I will usually have some bags for sale, maybe some enchanting materials, and a few items for resale. It isn't hard, and to the extent that it takes time, it takes less time than running around the world hoping someone will pay me 13.5 gold for killing some trolls. Although, I would do that for free.

Speaking of wasting time, I hate fishing. If not for making feasts for my friends, and the cost of the ingredients, I don't think I'd ever do it.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, fishing is by far the most boring profession... and only with the return of fishies for cooking, maybe

    ReplyDelete